Ipswich - 01473 213311
Colchester - 01206 584584
Felixstowe - 01394 834557


What happens if you and your child’s other parent are separated and you cannot agree on whether or not your child should be vaccinated?

This is becoming an increasingly hot topic as the age of vaccination creeps ever lower. If you want your child to be vaccinated and their other parent doesn’t agree you can apply to the Court for a Specific Issue Order. If you don’t want your child to be vaccinated but the other parent does you can apply for a Prohibited Steps Order. The court will have to act in the best interests of the child regardless of the strength of any parental feeling. It will take into account the wishes and feelings of any child of an appropriate age who cannot give personal consent because he/she is not old enough. It seems likely that if the weight of scientific and medical evidence is pro vaccination, then a court will order that the child have the jab.  Court should always be the last resort though. If possible you should explore alternative dispute options such as mediation, round table discussion or family therapy. It may also be best in this situation to take advice from the family GP.

Kerseys Family Law Solicitors offers tailored-made solutions for divorcing and separating couples. Whilst our standard working day is 9.00am to 17.15pm, our Family Lawyers are flexible to support your needs and will if possible arrange out of hours online appointments for you, visit our web site and click “Call Me Back” to request a free call back or telephone us at Kerseys Solicitors in Ipswich 01473 213311 or Kerseys Solicitors in Colchester 01206 584584 or email us at [email protected]

Call Me Back
close slider