Ipswich - 01473 213311
Colchester - 01206 584584
Felixstowe - 01394 834557


I’m Worried My Foreign Spouse Might Abduct Our Children, What Should I Do?

This is a legitimate worry for many parents who are going through a separation where the other parent has links to a country abroad. In most circumstances it is a criminal offence to take a minor child out of England and Wales without the permission of the other parent or a court order. If you attempt to do this you may be stopped at the UK border where a Port Alert Order is in place. This will prevent you from leaving for at least 28 days while the court examines the merits of your case.  If you have good reason to suspect that your minor child might be taken out of the country you should apply to the court immediately for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent the parent concerned from taking this course of action. If necessary the court will attach a Port Alert Order. If your child has already been taken abroad your rights to get your child back will depend upon which country your child has been taken to.

For specialist legal advice on removing children from the country contact Kerseys Family Team.

Kerseys Family Law Solicitors offers tailored-made solutions for divorcing and separating couples. Whilst our standard working day is 9.00am to 17.15pm, our Family Lawyers are flexible to support your needs and will if possible arrange out of hours online appointments for you, visit our web site and click “Call Me Back” to request a free call back or telephone us at Kerseys Solicitors in Ipswich 01473 213311 or Kerseys Solicitors in Colchester 01206 584584 or email us at [email protected]

Call Me Back
close slider