Seven Steps to Moving House
You’ve found a property, agreed a price with the Sellers or the estate agents and applied for your mortgage. What next?
- Contact us to find out the legal costs involved. This will include Land Registry fees, stamp duty and search fees.
- We will investigate the title to the property and carry out searches including a search with the local authority, an environmental and drainage search.
- You should consider whether you should arrange a survey of the property. A RICS Homebuyer survey is recommended rather than relying on the valuation report carried out by your mortgage lender.
- Once all outstanding issues are resolved and your mortgage offer has been received, we will send you the contract to sign. There will usually be a number of other documents for you to sign including the mortgage deed and a stamp duty land tax return.
- We can exchange contracts and agree a completion date once everyone in the conveyancing chain is ready. Completion is usually a week or two after exchange.
- We will request money ready for completion from you and your mortgage lender and carry out the pre-completion searches with the Land Registry.
- On completion day, we will transfer the money to the Sellers’s solicitors. You collect your keys and move in.
How long will it take?
It usually takes about 6 – 8 weeks from your offer being accepted to get to completion.
The actual completion date will however depend on everyone on the chain being ready with mortgage offers ( if needed) and all agreeing on a completion date.
Be prepared to be flexible on the completion date however as although it is useful to have a guide as to your preferred date , until everyone is ready, we cannot guarantee that this date will be met.Conveyancing